I need help

Entering Denmark

What legal documents do I need?

  • Denmark is part of the Schengen agreement, which eliminated border passport control between Schengen countries in Europe. This means you no longer need to stop or show your passport when traveling between Denmark and Germany or Denmark and Sweden.
  • You must still have your passport with you, however, when traveling in Schengen countries as a form of identification.

How long can I stay?/ Can I get my visa extended?

  • If you are travelling visa-free or on a short term visa, you may stay in the Schengen region for a maximum of 90 days in any 180-day period.
  • The Immigration Service recommends that you use a calendar to count days from the date of entry up to and including the date you leave the country. Note: Both the entry day and the exit day count towards the 90 days

Can I bring my pet to Denmark?

  • Yes
    • The EU and Denmark use a special derogation in Regulation 2013/576, which means that people from Ukraine can bring their animals even if they do not meet all the requirements.
    • People are asked to contact the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration via this form and send it to the bellow email.
  • Once the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration has received your form and relevant documents, you will be contacted as soon as possible.
  • For more information, see the link below

Stay in Denmark

  • Denmark adopted a Special Act for displaced persons coming from Ukraine.
  • People arriving from Ukraine are able to obtain a residence permit in a shorter and simpler procedure.
  • Once a residence permit is obtained, people are allowed to start working in Denmark. However, while you are waiting for a residence permit, you can not work. You need to wait for obtaining your residence permit.

Application forms and instructions

  • Application form SL1: this is the application form to use by Ukrainian citizens or recognized refugees from Ukraine
  • Application form SL2: this is the application form to use by family members

Process for submitting an application:

  1. Print the form and fill it out and print the form.
  2. Sign the form by hand.
  3. Take copies of identity documents and other relevant documents.
  4. Make an appointment to lodge the application at the “Borgerservice” (make an appointment only for persons over 18 and not for accompanying children – however, children must be brought to the Borgerservice for identification)
  5. Meet in person at Borgerservice with the application form and have biometrics taken at the Immigration Service’s Borgerservice.

You are also able to submit your application online.

Are there any covid-19 restrictions to be aware of?

  • There are no travel restrictions if you are vaccinated, or previously infected.
  • There are no travel restrictions if you enter from the EU or Schengen.
  • If you enter from outside of the EU or Schengen, you must take a test within 24 hours of arrival.

First steps in Denmark


Shelter – Online platform for finding housing in Denmark and in other countries. The website was initiated by a Member of Parliament of Ukraine Halyna Yanchenko. You can find information about the residential areas, the number of vacancies and contact details where free of charge housing can be found or is already offered.

Facebook – Private housing – Facebook group

I can help – The main goal of the I Can Help platform is to assist and facilitate people in need to find a host and also for the host to find those who need solidarity housing

Public Kommune housing – The majority of the refugees from Ukraine will be able to receive housing from Kommune (local administration). Kommune links the refugees with local housing (public or individual). You will need to contact them directly and inquire about the possible housing:

Shelter  – Shelter for Ukraine is an initiative that can help you find a shelter posted by volunteers from all over Europe

Public transportation

  • Trains that come to Denmark are for free, however for the time being public transport is not yet free.


  • Everyone in Denmark needs to have a personal registration number – CPR.
  • The CPR number is essential in relation to any contact with the Danish authorities and especially in connection to tax and social security issues.
  • Once you have housing, you can apply for CPR.
  • You can apply for CPR with International Citizen Services.


  • Once you obtain a CPR number, you will have access to the Danish health care system.

Find legal help

  • Danish Law Association – together with Danish Attorneys together with the Danish Refugee Council will provide legal help for free to the Ukrainian Refugees. Please, contact the Danish Refugee Council

Connect with Ukrainian embassy

Once settled

Where can I find a job?

Jobs for Ukraine – You can register to a platform called Jobs for Ukraine, whose mission is to help people affected by the war in Ukraine find a new job in tech or other fields. The service is free of charge.

UA talents is a job platform for displaced persons from and within Ukraine. Companies from all over Europe advertise their job openings to people from Ukraine who have lost their employment due to the war.

Important Contacts


  • 112 – the number for urgent medical asistance in Denmark
  • 112 – the number for fire brigade
  • 114 – the number for Police in Denmark

Disclosure: This website is to offer a simple overview of information to those who need help and to those who wish to help. This website is using the information provided by public authorities and NGOs. It was built with help of students at the DigiLawyer course. If you have any questions or ideas, please, reach out to us: info@ukrainedenmark.dk